wood to 'cap' dwarf walls ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have built some large raised beds in garden .... intent is to clad the outside in wood to match external building cladding.

So taking wall of 100mm wide plus some vertical batten of at least 38 mm then the cladding .... I have around 160mm finished 'wall thickness
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx351/Tafflad/wall.jpg
Need to have a top 'capping to cover this .............. so looking for ideas on what to use.

I could use wood, in which case I would overlap outside edge and fit a 20 x 20 horizontal nosing under the leading edge, making the capping in effect 'hockey stick' section,.
The nosing providing overlap to cladding would look neater.

This means top piece of wood comes in around ...225 wide .... now decking is not wide enough, and if I put plain sawn timber may not look to good.
One thought was to rip some decking down centre and biscuit joint the 1/2 width to full width piece ..... I'm assuming decking width is 140mm ... that would only give me ~205 ... can you get wider decking planks ?

I did think (but nor for long) about concrete 'hogs back' capping .... but as this will need occasional stepping on to get at 'garden' not ideal as
they would probably come loose. (plus quantity required would be expensive.
Looking for any other ideas on a durable & decorative capping.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
how do you fancy scaffold boards they are 9" wide

Not particularly after the 'Steptoe' look :LOL:

not old new ones ;)
buy them from your local wood yard un- banded they are a cheap source off wide quite thick fairly stable knot free wood

these are quite expensive 13 ft should be around £16-£18
http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Scaffolding_Boards.html[/QUOTE]

Didn't know you could get them unbanded

all depends on whether they band them there selves it saves them a job ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back