Fixing the end of joists to a wall....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,

I want to make a cupboard in the void above the stair well, accessed from from a bedroom. The access side will be studwork, whereas the back of the cupboard will be a brick load bearing wall - the other bedroom.

How do I fix the ends of the joists that will form the cupboard floor to the wall? Is there some kind of wall mounted joist hanger available?

Sponsored Links
Not quite, it looks like you build these into the wall during construction of the wall. My wall already exists, slightly misleading having re-read my OP, but looking at the other hangers in the range would I be ok to use one of these

david1805 said:
Not quite, it looks like you build these into the wall during construction of the wall.
Quite so, but you can dig out some mortar if you want to add them to an existing wall.

My wall already exists, slightly misleading having re-read my OP, but looking at the other hangers in the range would I be ok to use one of these

Er, what image were you trying to post then?

Sponsored Links
I just knew the link wasn't going to work. How do you attach pictures? It was a 'speedy joist hanger standard leg'.

You take the URL of the image, and put it between delimiters.

For example, if you quote the post in which I posted an image, then you'll see the following:

img]http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/246014/246014-ab0-00co_medium.jpg[/img

...but with a "[" at the beginning and a "]" at the end, which I've omitted so that you can see the string I posted.

Cracked it, thanks for the guide. It was one of these - would this be ok nailed to the wall? Or are they stronger screwed?

240385-ab0-00co_medium.jpg

Strictly speaking, you should determine the load-bearing capability from the spec for the hanger, and work out if it can support what you're doing.

My gut feel is that I'd use the type that I posted earlier. I would cut the plaster away, and then cut some mortar out from the brick joint, insert the hanger(s), add some mortar, and then patch up the plaster when the joist(s) is/are in place.

It is only a cupboard.

I would screw a timber batten to the wall and rest the joists on that. You could use expanding bolts instead of screws.

If it is dry lined then take the plasterboard off where the batten is fixed so you are sure it is well fixed. Three walls of mine were concrete block so fixing was easy. If one of the walls carrying the load is stud check it is actually stood on the floor (with shinkage they are frequently left floating), if it is floating pack the gap between the sole plate and the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back