fixing timber posts ontop of concrete wall

bpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find a decent looking post fixing to go directly ontop of our existing 900mm high garden concrete wall.

We are wanting to put up some timber hand rails and spindles to prevent our kids from fall off the higher garden level down onto the patio below.

I've tried searching for a metal post fixing but don't want the standard met post type of bolt down post shoe's as they are visual not good to look at and will rust over time.

can anyone suggest another good product alternatives to fixing the timber posts directly onto the the wall?

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem when building my new koi pond. I wanted the pergola posts on the corners and didnt want the ugly metposts showing.

I used the metposts....but I then laid another course of bricks and topped it with coping stones....looks very tidy and smart now its finished.

Maybe you could do similar if you could put another run of bricks on top of the wall?

the only problem is that the wall was built before we bought the house,
but did find these

http://www.grange-fencing.com/page.php?getid=139

but after sevral hours of looking on the net I've designed an up side down T plate that will run about 300mm up into a timber posts once a section of the timber post has been cut away, then it's bolted to the top of the wall and the timber posts get bolted into place

Any heaving on those wall top posts will eventually break the wall away, methinks....any future in placing posts fully down the side of the wall, securing these, and then fixing any attachments to them?
John :)

Sponsored Links
concrete the posts into the ground alongside the wall, nail your timbers on the wall side and nail your fence to that, at least this way anything that happens to your fence wont affect your wall, you could even put some copings on top of the wall before fencing it

thanks for comments

I was thinking using 10mm dia threaded bar cem fixed into existing wall, i.e. drilling down into wall 75mm-100mm then bolt the metal "T" plates down ontop of wall.

The timber posts will have timber balustrading fixed to them i.e. timber spindles and handrails similar to the image below:

decking%20handrails%2004.jpg

I like the look of those metal post thing you designed. I take it that you will have them manufactured and possibly zinc plated? Please could you feedback on her how much they cost to have knocked up by a metalworker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back