Fixing to dot & dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m hanging a double radiator onto a dot & dab wall & will be using corefix fixings for the brackets. I’ve drilled one side where there was a hollow spot on the dot & dab & so I could see where the board ended & masonry began, it was about 45-50mm of a gap. The other side I’m drilling right into the dabs & felt like I still wasn’t getting to the masonry but I’ve drilled about 100mm now & don’t want to go any further, what should I do?

Sponsored Links
What size radiator ? If it's very large and heavy like some of the column rads are, use 6mm threaded bar with washer and nut. Chemical anchor to secure. More costly but proper fix. Alternatively, if brackets pull into the plasteroad because of the gap behind the dot and dab, use battens secured directly to the wall . Cut the plasterboard out to suit and fill and redecorate accordingly. Better to have secure fix than problems later on.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Definitely don't even think about hanging a radiator off plasterboard.
Depends on size and weight. In my property afaik (it was new built) all rads are hung on plasterboard walls, and haven’t fell off yet. I also said, get a good fixing in one side ;)

Fixing one side well makes no difference at all, the other side is still just as likely to fall off, loosen or tear downwards.

I wouldn't even consider hanging a radiator off a sheet of plaster and paper.

The internet seems to think it's OK with some kind of super wonder fixings, I wouldn't dare.

I bought some thick penny washers, drilled a big hole through the plasterboard, drilled into the block behind, put a wallplug in then screwed through a stack of washers that brought it to very slightly under the plasterboard. It all got squeezed flat against the bracket as I tightened, then I just tidied up the edges with caulk. Absolutely rock solid, the plasterboard isn't taking any weight at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back