Fixing to porcelain tiled cement board walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a rash moment, we chose very hard porcelain tiles for our wetroom walls. Our tilers and builders complained of burning out several diamond drills when working with it. Now I want to fit a mirrored bathroom cabinet to one of these walls. The porcelain is secured to cement board, which is fixed to a stud wall. Knowing the difficulties and thickness of materials here, a cavity fixing seems like a major challenge. I had hoped to find a stud - but my stud finder is just not helping here. I would value any advice on how to fix to this wall. For example, will traditional plugs and screws provide enough load bearing into the cement board, assuming I can drill that far?

Sponsored Links
You might be surprised just how much weight a tiled wall will take, stud or no stud. Use a good quality nylon plug with lugs and only you will be able to tell if it's secure enough. If it isn't then I would use some fast brolly cavity fixings. Use a diamond coated hole saw with a water spray to drill your Porcelain.

Not half as surprised as having over 10kg of porcelain tile plus attached cabinet fall into your toothbrush beaker ...

Thanks for the advice! I'll see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Cement based board is a lot stronger than plasterboard so you should be OK with conventional PB fixings; to be safe just go + 50% with the number of fixings; but don't go silly with the weight you put in the cabinet :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back