Fixings and weighting for shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Fairly new to all this so be gentle with me!

I've got hold of some nice old scaffolding boards which I'd like to use for shelving. I'm ok with sanding them down and all that, but a few things I'd like to double check on in terms of the fixings.

I'm going to use these Triade concealed shelf supports as I'm looking for a floating feel, and I like the fact that they're adjustable to get things nice and level.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/images/External/pages/105-110.pdf

Two main questions I have

1. I don't have a workshop unfortunately, so my first question is whether I'n likely to be able to make the holes in the shelves straight and accurately enough without a drill press? I'm guessing if I'm even slightly off, it's not going to work. I have bought this drill guide from Axminster. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-drill-guide but is it basically crazy to try to do this without a press? I can probably find one somewhere but it makes everything a much bigger hassle.

2. I just want to make sure I'm clear on the weighting - the shelves will be 2 meters long, and I'm thinking of using four supports - it gives figures in the pdf above for them being 700mm apart which I guess signifies 4 supports for 2m, and that at a shelf depth of 225, that this should give 140 kg/m which is easily enough to hold the shelves (which are about 10kg I think) plus even heavy books which I think even the heaviest I understand are about 150kg for 2 meters of length, so I'm guessing this makes them able to take almost twice as much weight as I need them to.

Would love to know if these figures look right, don't want them collapsing!

Should say it's a masonry wall, so I'm guessing that will easily take the weight if the fixings are hefty enough.

Have more questions but these are the key ones and would love to know in general whether I'm on the right lines here..

Thanks

Louis

Sponsored Links
Hi there, oops - yes, I've fixed that link now. They are slightly different to the one you've linked to as they're adjustable, but yes it's that kind of thing.

I was pretty keen on using the concealed ones and not having sides, as I'm looking for a floating feel - however it may be the hidden l bracket does the job. I just tried searching for it but could only find ones for granite worktops, and you can still see the bracket when they're fixed in (although I might be misunderstanding how they work).

Are they supposed to be completely hidden, and if so do you have a link I could take a look at?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back