Bathroom shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After lots of searching online for bathroom shelves we couldnt find any that were suitable and so I decided to make these:

13ca7ab5adf8af41a218a5609338d8f4--bathroom-storage-solutions-small-bathroom-storage (1).jpg

Our main problem was the space we had available for the shelves which is quite narrow.

I purchased some timber and got to work.

20170929_081450.jpg

The shelf you can see at the bottom is held is resting on some inch by inch cuts. These are secured into the uprights and rest or 'hang' on the skirting boards. All good so far. The actual shelf is loose as it were.

My main dilemma is how I'm going to secure the remaining four shelves. They reduce in depth the higher they are on the ladder.

I'm thinking two screws into each side along with some PVA. The shelves when built are quite heavy (birchwood ply shelf with spruce sides). Would this be a secure enough method of fixing them? If I get them flush to the wall this should stop (or limit) any downward movement at the rear of the shelf. What do you think?

Thanks for any tips you can give. I'm not tackling this now until the weekend.

Cheers
David

Attachments

• 20170928_194603.jpg
    20170928_194603.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you for the link. Quick question. Would one of these go in-between shelf side and upright? Then a bolt through everything and tighten to bring all together?

Thanks again.

They look like heavy shelves :!:

You need to bolt through the upright and the shelf side,some wood glue on bare wood here will stiffen it up aswell.I would use M8 coach bolts (you may need to cut them to size) and dome head nuts inside the shelf.

Toolstation stock the nuts/dome bolts.

toolstation coach bolt.jpg
toolstation dome nut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link. Quick question. Would one of these go in-between shelf side and upright? Then a bolt through everything and tighten to bring all together?

Thanks again.
That’s right , keep it rock solid once tightened .

I've just noticed that these timber connectors are 50mm x 50mm. Is that not going to be a tad overkill for this application? Or is there no such thing? :) Also, they are M12. Would they still work with an M8 bolt?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back