Floating shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a novice at carpentry. Trying to fit some floating shelves in an alcove. I'm using these concealed shelf supports:

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/concealed-shelf-supports/concealed-shelf-support.html

For the shelves I'm using 25mm window board, it's about 210mm deep. As you can see from the link, I need to create a rectangular notch on the back edge of the board to conceal the rear plate of the support - it needs to be 72mm wide x 22m high x 12mm deep.

I've been using a chisel to create this notch but I'm finding it quite difficult and time consuming - I need to do 9 of these shelves and 2 notches in each shelf. I was wondering whether it would be possible to do this job with a router?

I've never used a router before so I thought I would ask before going out and buying one. Also, if anyone has any better ideas on how to do it, I'm all ears. Or any suggestions for a different type of wood to use.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
personaly think 1.5mm each side will not be enough and it will chip off you realy need 35-44mm

clamp 3 together in 3 groups using the fence run up one side and down the other slotting the outside boards do this to all the three groups
reposition fence and cut a further width
you need to do 3 passes for a 12mm depth so 6 in all per plank

you might be able to do this with a forstner bit?and then square up the mortises with a chisel,but as you have said you only have basic skills,then it might be best to perhaps find someone who can do it for you???
but if you decide to give it a go,then good luck.

Rather a cumbersome method especially for a novice, the board you have is it timber? as mdf is likely to split under load with only 5-6mm above each pin.
Easier to simple fix screws in wall all round alcove [protruding 10-15 mm] and hammer on shelving to mark position of screws and then just cut a small notch above each screw position and then tap shelf into place over screw heads.

Sponsored Links
Rather a cumbersome method especially for a novice, the board you have is it timber? as mdf is likely to split under load with only 5-6mm above each pin.
Easier to simple fix screws in wall all round alcove [protruding 10-15 mm] and hammer on shelving to mark position of screws and then just cut a small notch above each screw position and then tap shelf into place over screw heads.

Yes it's mdf. thanks for the ideas - might try a forstner bit first and if that doesn't work then i'll try the screws idea. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back