Fixings for "dot & dabbed" walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently decorating my kitchen but I have a bit of a problem fixing things to the walls.

I am struggling to find the right fixings to use. It would appear that rather thick blobs of adhesive were used to attach the plasterboard to the brick which has left a gap of up to half an inch in places between board and wall (possibly some unevenness in the masonry too).

I have tried using various cavity fixings but there is not quite sufficient clearance to insert these far enough. Conversely, normal wall plugs do not penetrate the masonry enough to give sufficient purchase. Even using long nylon plugs with long screws doesn't work particularly well as the screw tends to distort and twist the top of the plug before reaching the expanding section.

Sleeve anchors work OK for heavy duty stuff like shelving but are too big for the smaller bits like pan racks (which still need to be reasonably load bearing).

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use 3" No8 screws. Mark and drill the holes around 3 1/2" deep. Put plug in hole, put screw in plug and hammer in until there's about 1" to 1,1/4" of the screw showing. Then use a screwdriver to screw it up tight.

When drilling and plugging ignore space , so use screws 1/2" longer than you would for solid walls and tap screws into plugs so they are driven flush with block-work below the plaster then screw home. Plugs should be rigid plastic so they don't distort not the softer nylon type.

drill hole, fill with liquid nails or similar and insert plug, if its half inch gap then maybe drill to brick and using a piping bag / icing bag to fill hole / gap with plaster / board adhesive - then re drill hole ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back