Fixings for Shower Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had our bathroom refurbished and I now need to fit a shower rail, I have bought a Croydex Bendy one that screws to the wall rather than one of those pressure fix ones as it needs to bend to match the bath. http://www.croydex.com/products/66-bendy-rail.aspx One end the wall is brick+plaster+tiles and should be straight forward. The other end the wall is tiles on 9mm plywood and I am just considering which fixings to use. The brackets are 18mm wide, this pic should clarify things. I have all the usual suppliers available, toolstation, screwfix etc. Obviously a tile bit will be required. Having drilled two adequate holes in the tile I am inclined to initially just see if a simple wood screw into the plywood will suffice though 9mm is not much though there should not be too much weight on the bracket.Suggestions welcome please. :p

Sponsored Links
9mm isn't much thickness for a screw to hold into.

If it's on battens can you use a metal toggle behind the plywood ie treat it as plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Someone's full weight could be on those fixings if they slip in the bath and tug the shower curtain.
Thanks but its for a shower curtain not a grab rail! If you expressed any weight on the curtain the weedy plastic hooks would likely just ping off in the first instance anyway. Even if the bracket was fixed with heavy duty fixings of some sort the rail would just pull off the bracket anyway, that's just held up with a pair of weedy screws into a nylon plate. Besides if you fit a friction fit type of curtain rail they take no effort at all to pull down. It only needs to be strong enough to support itself and the odd tug by the kids maybe but no more. Think I will go with my Screwfix plugs unless there's some floor in my plan or someone else pipes up with a better suggestion. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back