New bathroom - whats best

SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a loft conversation I now need to install the bath against 3 walls and with a shower over the bath. Stud walls are lined with 9mm plywood, for strength only.

Having read other posts I will, tile floor first, and fix plasterboard over ply.

Is it best to:

1) tile the walls before installing the bath. Some bath manufactures recommend this.

2) fix bath to plasterboard and then tile to bath.

3) fix bath and then fix plasterboard and tiles to bath.

thanks

Sponsored Links
SL, shower trays normally have an upstand and there's a reason for this. It means you can tile over the upstand so if/when your sealant fails, the water doesn't go behind the tray and rot your floor. While some baths also come with upstands (Bette, eg) most don't so you want to do your very best to minimise leaks. In my opinion (which isn't an expert one) your first option is not the one to choose. Option 3 has the disadvantage that if you wanted to replace your bath, the new one probably wouldn't fit into the same space. Option 2 seems best, although you might want to consider putting something a bit more waterproof than plasterboard under the tiles.

SL said:
Following a loft conversation I now need to install the bath against 3 walls and with a shower over the bath. Stud walls are lined with 9mm plywood, for strength only.
9mm? :eek:

Having read other posts I will, tile floor first, and fix plasterboard over ply.
Eyecrazy.gif

Is it best to:
2) fix bath to plasterboard and then tile to bath.
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Option 2, it is.

9mm ply has been used to line all the walls in all rooms, with plasteboard over the top. Had to do this as the trusses were designed for max room.

Many thanks
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back