Best method for fiting a showerbath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Was hoping you could give me some views on the below methods for installing a new bath:

Method A

Install bath in corner against new plasterboard walls.
Silicone the edge of bath before pushing it into position against the walls, allow silicone to dry.
Install a Sealux (or similar) bath sealing strip
Then apply tanking membrane on walls right down to the edge of the bath seal strip.
Install the tiles.

Method B

Apply tanking to the full length of the new plasterboard walls.
Silicone the edge of bath before pushing it into position against the walls
Tile right down to the bath (leave a 2mm gap).
Finally silicone seal around the edge of the bath.

I'm not overly keen on method A since the bath seal strips can discolour over time and get scummed up with soap which isn't very hygenic.

My thinking is method B is better because the silicone can be renewed whenever you like so the bath area always looks fresh. If for any reason the silicone fails, the walls are tanked right down to the floorboards so if water does pass down the side of the bath, the walls are still fully protected.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Method b and also use some fixing brackets as you dont seem to have mentioned them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back