Your favourite method of sealing the tile/bath joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No silicone thankyou!!

What's your favourite method of sealing onto the rim of a bath?

Existing bath - 60s, enamelled - has quadrant tiles which have lasted pretty well, do not leak and are not loose.

New bath - Villeroy and Boch - made of quartz/acrylic, should be pretty rigid. Unfortunately because the new bath is deeper, the existing tiles will have to come off.
It needs sealing along the side and both ends.

It's 48 years since I last installed a bath and tiled onto it, can't recall what I did back then.

What's your favourite method?

Sponsored Links
What's your favourite method?

I used white plastic quadrant, with sealant applied to wall and bath facing flat sides. The quadrant I bought from https://www.eurocell.co.uk/, intended for double glazing, bought from one of their outlets, it's stupid cheap. Before that, I had installed a 3M soft plastic, angle seal, with a sticky compound on the back. It worked, but tended to support mould. The glazing quadrant, doesn't support mould, and stays put just fine.

Sponsored Links
It gets black with mould, and is impossible to clean.
I would rather use chewing gum.... :cautious:

I use the correct type, and it still went black, especially along the interface between sealant and bath/tile. The plastic quadrant may not be the stuff designed for the job, but it stays white, and doesn't breed mould.

gee
You're using the wrong type or using it incorrectly.

Just DIY, I've always used Dow 785 and I would completely agree with the advice and above comment. I have been hearing that CT1 is even better than Dow285.

As to application, watch this for the most comprehensive demo and instructional video I've ever seen on the subject:

Regards

Tet

I used white plastic quadrant, with sealant applied to wall and bath facing flat sides. The quadrant I bought from https://www.eurocell.co.uk/, intended for double glazing, bought from one of their outlets, it's stupid cheap. Before that, I had installed a 3M soft plastic, angle seal, with a sticky compound on the back. It worked, but tended to support mould. The glazing quadrant, doesn't support mould, and stays put just fine.
Quadrant... was it this?
And did you stick it to the tiles, or to the wall beneath the bottom row of tiles?
And what did you stick it with?
It does of course depend on the wall and the tiling being near perfectly flat.

I guess silicone may be OK if one uses it regularly and knows how to get a good finish. I've used CT1 as an adhesive for ... can't recall... but never as a sealant.
Many years ago we had a shower cubicle in our new bathroom, the builder did the install and the tiling and I tiled the rest of the room. Some years later the silicone he used let go, and it leaked. Caused a lot of problems, as it had let go from the shower tray but was still stuck to the tiles, so it was hard to see.

This was the room... if I could have taken it with me when we moved I would have done.

Quadrant... was it this?

Yes!

And did you stick it to the tiles, or to the wall beneath the bottom row of tiles?

Such a long time ago - from memory I just used bathroom sealant.

It does of course depend on the wall and the tiling being near perfectly flat.

Well, not perfectly flat - generally flat. I used it to seal the interface between tiles and bath lip, along two sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back