Showerbath area to be tiled... to tank or not to tank!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to post yet another tanking query but here goes!

I'm putting a 'P' shaped showerbath into a new bathroom which I plan to tile floor to ceiling. Head of bath is against a solid wall (to which shower will be attached) side of bath runs along plasterboard.

Is tanking a bit excessive for a showerbath? I would definately use it for a shower enclosure, but wondered if a waterproof adhesive (like dunlop do) would suffice. I know I will have to seal the plasterboard with a good acrylic sealer first.

I watched the Dunlop tanking vid posted elsewhere on this site and they only waterproof 1m high in a shower enclosure, in my case the bath will take the brunt of the water.

Any advice appreciated! Well, good advice appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
i pesonally wouldnt bother with tanking. the only time i use it is for wet rooms. totally over the top in my opinion

Depends a lot on the size of tiles - small tiles allow much more moisture through and in these cases tanking should definitely be considered.

but how to define "small"? the size of wall tiles I am goint to use are: 40cm*25cm, should I tank the wall or not?

Sponsored Links
I'd always suggest tanking a shower enclosure no matter what size tiles you use, but if it's just a shower over a bath and using tiles that size, then you should be fine. Having said that, peace of mind comes cheap with a tub of tanking gear. ;)

You would be best to tank it,as Gcol says its peace of mind.When stripping out some old bathrooms you wouldn't belive what you find behind the tiles. :eek: Even just around a bath area with no shower the moisture still gets through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back