premix adhesive over tanking? ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have tanked around bath using the dunlop kit over gyproc moisture plasterboard.

Was aiming to use BAL whitestar premixed adhesive for the ceramic tiles we will have.

I am a slow tiler, hence my use of premix.

However, have been getting comments from local merchant that the premixed adhesive will never dry because of the tanking and I have to use cement based adhesive etc...

Any advice or experience on this (have read gcols excellent sticky)

Sponsored Links
Any advice or experience on this (have read gcols excellent sticky)
Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)
The fact that you've waterproofed the walls with a tanking product will slow down the cure period of the adhesive so you will need to leave the adhesive for 3 days before you grout. Bottom line is, Bal white star is absolutely fine to be used over a tanking product. Yes it will take longer to go off (cure) but it will be fine.
Having said this, if you are using large tiles (300mm x 300mm and above) then you really want to be using a powdered adhesive.

I tend to get most of my stuff from Screwfix which do the Mapei range.

adhesive:
If I were to use a powdered adhesive, they sell Mapei Keraflex in white which is a cement based adhesive with 30mins working time

grout:
Mapei ultracolour plus in white. Was going to use this anyway ideally

all looks like hardwearing stuff with good water resistance specified to be used in situations (balconies, swimming pools) with a lot more wear and moisture than our little bathroom!

Any better recommendations from those who have actually tried a few brands?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back