Tanking as well as Knauf Aquaboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Following a significant leak from a shower over a bath, I'm currently ripping off rotten plasterboard and have Knauf Aquapanel (cement) boards waiting to go up onto the studs. As a belt and braces approach (I'd rather spend the extra ££ for peace of mind) I'm planning to tank the area too.

So, am wondering what tanking system you guys recommend over the Aquapanel? I've read a few posts which suggest you need a layer of tile adhesive first? Is that only is using the sheet membrane tanking such as the Homelux? I was thinking of using the BAL tanking, or the Dunlop kit, but happy to use homelux or similar instead.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
I tanked over Hardiebacker boards, not sure if Aquapanel same or totally waterproof. If they are like Hardiebacker, you need to tank still, as while they don't mind being wet (ie won't disintegrate) they are not impermeable.

I used Mapei tanking kit. Primed the boards first, taped joints, then 2 coats. But might be different for Aquapanel

Thanks for replying.

I've decided to use Jackoboard instead, it's no more expensive and there's no need to tank (other than the joins).

I was looking at similar for my other bathroom, came across Marmox, which is waterproof tilebacker board. Also saw something similar in Wickes, but didn't look closely at it.

Sponsored Links
I don't get this tanking business.
I have ripped 20 and 30 year old showers tiled on plaster and plasterboard without any tanking and the tiles were stuck solid.
In fact, in most cases I ended up breaking the plaster or plasterboard because it was easier than trying removing tiles without damage.
Also, last year I ripped a shower in a loft conversion where they had tiled straight on aquapanels.
I ended up ripping all the aquapanels from the studs.
There was a vesqueen membrane behind it.
On the safe side, when I tiled my shower room, I tanked it, but I always thought it's something a bit over the top.
How did showers survive before tanking became trendy???

I think the problem is moisture getting through and rotting the wood in the walls and floors - I know a few people that have had serious problems with leaking showers, in one house they had to replace about 3m of floor that was rotting due to leaking shower.

I guess really good tiling and sensible use can often be without problems, but tanking just makes it all better sealed. It might even be easier to remove tiles in future if tanked?

I think the problem is moisture getting through and rotting the wood in the walls and floors - I know a few people that have had serious problems with leaking showers, in one house they had to replace about 3m of floor that was rotting due to leaking shower.

I guess really good tiling and sensible use can often be without problems, but tanking just makes it all better sealed. It might even be easier to remove tiles in future if tanked?
I understand the theory about it, but shouldn't tiles be waterproof?
And shouldn't silicone at joints be checked regularly and replaced when necessary?
I don't know, it all looks a bit like a jar of Alps' air...

Natural stone tiles are not waterproof, they need to be sealed every 6 months or so - how many people do that?
Who will check silicone seals - OK if you have good eyesight and know what you are looking for, but few homeowners would ever think of doing this.
Probably wasn't important in older homes as they were all solid, but now homes are mostly made of wood and boards that turn to mush when wet for a long time, tanking is probably a good idea. Much cheaper to tank than remove tiles and repair walls in 10 years,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back