Help on re-tiling leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help new to this forum !!

Tiled shower area straight onto plywood (naive!!) leaked. Removed tiles tray to ceiling of shower area. Plywood is on stud wall part of dormer room and sheets go behind rest of tiling in room.so don't really want to remove. Plywood I think is wbp and aligns vertically with upstand on tray and is then silicone sealed.

Read a lot of useful advice on forum (wish I had before starting!!). I want total belt and braces no worries about future leaks and happy to spend bit of time and money to get this peace of mind.

Question is I don't want to come out too much from plywood as will stand out from rest of tiling and onto shower tray. Which is best option:

1) HadieBacke 6mm onto ply then tile (but understand this is not waterproof )

2) Homelux type sheet ..how thick will this result in. If use this how clean does plywood need to be ...some old adhesive difficult to totally remove.

3) Bal tanking

Finally will any water that gets behind tiles come down backer board/homelux/BAL tanking into tray (or will it just be trapped and go horizontally if silicone sealed at bottom??)

Judging by reading previous replies probably no right answer but would appreciate any advice for this situation

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back