Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just about to fit full length sliding wardrobe miror doors spaning the length of the wall (3.5m). I am going to fix a sole plate and top plate, to which the sliding doors track will fix to. The bottom track takes all the weight. I have cut back the carpet to fix the sole plate to the exposed floor boards. The sole plate and top plate will either be 4by1 or 4by2.

What size and types of fixings should i use to fix the sole plate and top plate in place?

Is there a rule of thumb to determne the size of fixings i should use?

All advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Steve - screws, straight through the plates. Top plate into ceiling joists if they're at 90 degrees, add timber supports in loft space if parallel. Generally 'the rule of 3' is observed for screws - 1/3 throught the piece to be held and 2/3 into the anchor piece. Clearly, you could break this rule at the floor plate 'cos you've only got the thickness of the floor boards to penetrate. If you don't want to see the screwheads set them below the surface and cover with a wooden plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back