Fixing sole plate to concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My latest project involves building a workshop/out building, using timber framing. My question is how should I fix the sole plate to the concrete? The slab will probably be 4-6" thick above ground, not sure if it will have a DPM, but probably will. I have seen various techniques via google, what is the easiest and safest? The building will be 6m x 4m and 2.4m tall. Could I get away with just pressure treated timber and some building sealant for the sole plate? or should I place a DPC under the sole plate before fixing? Placing 12mm stud to use as anchors in the slab whilst wet was one technique, I also read that I could pull the DPM a min 300mm up the face of the frame prior to putting moisture barrier around the frame. I'm sure there's an easy answer to this, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
DPC under the sole plate before fixing should be fine and use treated timber, if you buy a wider roll of DPC you could lap it up either side of the frame work.

Every 1200mm you can set an off-cut of 150mm x 10mm threaded rod about 75mm deep into the setting concrete and leave 75mm poking out. Using a threaded on 10mm nut in the concreted end will give more grip but its not necessary. The exposed rod now becomes your anchor for the bottom plate. Try for setting the anchors in estimated stud bays.
Or you can try other methods such as using Simpson sill plate anchors - or simply sink lengths of plumbers metal tape into the wet concrete to use as straps.

My question is how should I fix the sole plate to the concrete?..........I'm sure there's an easy answer to this

Lol, yes there is. Just drill some 7mm holes through the sole plate and into the slab. Brown plug and 100mm screw.

Sponsored Links
Or even easier, a 6mm hole through into the slab and use concrete screws or bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back