Flagpoles

B

berniebo

I recently objected to a flagpole erected nearby which carried some sort of pirate flag and was located facing the highway.

I had a call from the planners saying that if the flag was changed to a flag of St. George then they could not take any action.

A few days later another officer phoned me (who I assume had visited the site) and told me that the flag would have to be removed, even if it was changed to a patriotic one. He said at 18 ft it was too high and by facing the highway it would be too imposing on the street scene. To be acceptable it would need to be below fence height and for some reason he told me to contact him in the future if it was not removed.

It was not removed so a week or so later I emailed the LA to let them know only to get an email by return saying ......but he has changed it to a St Georges flag so it does not require planning permission as it is not advertising. He quotes the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Is this a case of LA officers left hand not knowing what the right is doing. It seems a patriotic flag of any height or size can be sited anywhere in a domestic situation, is this correct please.
I am not unpatriotic but I think they should be sited in back gardens. What would it look like with one in every front garden.

Sponsored Links
What's the matter with a flag, for goodness sake?

Aren't there more serious things you have to worry about? Think of all the servicemen and women who lost their lives in the War, so that your neighbour would have the freedom to put up a flag that was not a swastika.

'If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out'.

lifekc.jpg

I did comment on being patriotic and I was hoping for some constructive comments re the Council's change of decision and which was correct.

Not the comment I expected from my fist post. Having said that flags are ok but in the right location.

Sponsored Links
I did comment on being patriotic

Not the comment I expected from my fist post. Having said that flags are ok but in the right location.

If you are patriotic, why have you a problem with your neighbour having a flag in his front garden?

I am not unpatriotic but I think they should be sited in back gardens. What would it look like with one in every front garden.

Presumably, then, it's OK to be patriotic so long as it's hidden away from public view in the back garden? Strange view of patriotism!

Had I the misfortune to be your neighbour, I know where I'd like to put the flagpole and it wouldn't be in the back garden.

Bernie, you are an old misery guts!

What is wrong with a flagpole?

Are you a snob?

Nothing better to concern yourself with?

You are correct that a patriotic flag can be flown - this is a British citizens right. Just like its your right to moan about it.

Now get out there with a tape measure and go check some fences sp you can grass the owners up if they are too high.

I looked into this when we wanted to put a flagpole on our company premises.

Flagpoles are permitted development in any location at any height that does not constitute a risk to aircraft.

No permission is needed to fly any national flag, EU flag, regional or county flag, or a flag bearing a personal or company logo or coat of arms.

Advertising is not permitted, unless for a temporary event, such as a pirates' convention.

Flags require permission if floodlit.

Our council, normally pretty heavy-handed when it comes to minor planning enfringements, has not taken any action over our company flagpole. It is 20 feet high, on top of a 30 foot building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back