Flags and Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have had a couple of quotes for new flags and all three have given different suggestions and reasons for things so I wanted to clarify a few things:

1. How far away does a soak away need to be from a house? One guy said we can put one in..
2. Can you have a drain for the water to run into right outside your house as in on the exterior wall? One guy said as the garden is sloping downwards it would go into the dran and to the piping where the guttering goes.

The third guy said he doesnt want water going near the house and to build up next to the house so that the water goes back towards the garden in effect making a V type shape from the back of the garden towards the house. So both the back and front parts are raised with them both going to a central point.

What is the best method are they all perfectly fine?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
1. 5mtrs minimum.

2. Yes, an ACO channel

3. Not a bad idea with a drain in the middle?

Always fall water away from a building unless you have no choice or its very difficult.

Having the drain in the middle looks terrible, more like a farm yard than a patio. That's why you never see it.

Put the drain at the edge away from the building or if thats not possible use a crossfall and have it perpendicular to the building. Positioning depends on lots of onsite factors like existing slopes step and doorway positions, exsisting paved side paths, drain invert etc etc. Best going with someone who has physically seen it.

Thanks both for your replies.

@r896neo I can see what you are saying, the garden slopes towards the house so the first guy wants to run the drainage on the exterior wall to follow the current slope of the garden so it all drains to the same spot. The door etc is higher by a good few inches if thats any help?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
We have a "french drain" next to the house but the patio is graded slightly so the water runs away from house.

Option 3 sounds good, keep as much water away from your house as you can!.

Thanks. The issue I have is all the ground is pretty much clay so when we have a heavy downpour we end up with puddles everywhere on the flags currently as the water doesn't drain away even though there is a slight slope towards the garden away from the house. I have only just noticed the slope away from the house (sorry its not in the previous post!) which now makes sense as to why we end up with so many puddles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back