Flaking gable end wall

r&b

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Since we moved in about 4 years ago, the masonry paint on the gable end has been steadily flaking off. I suspect the previous owner, who rendered the wall about two years earlier had failed to primer the wall before painting it with what looks like a cheapish masonry paint. The wall bears the full force of the stormy weather, so I need to make a good job of it.

It continues to flake and I have had several suggestions how to tackle it. I am reluctant to primer the bare bits and "just paint over it". Surely the unprimered bits will still bubble up?

Another builder told me to use PVA over the whole wall, but from other threads on here that sounds like trouble. Sandblasting the old paint off I am advised will destroy the render.

Whatever I use to primer the wall will not remedy the old paint still on the wall, so I am frightened the old stuff will continue to fall off after being repainted. Is the only solution to scrape off every last bit of paint before making good? It's a big wall...

Your best advice please, and no, I don't want to move house!

Bob

Sponsored Links
The way I tackle flaking Masonry paint , is to hose down wall ( using a cheap Pressure washer) to clean of dirt, moss, flaking paint, fill and make good where required, then a coat of Stabilising Solution, then a couple of coats of masonry paint .

Hi Bosswhite

Do you just take it on trust that the old paint (which hasn't yet flaked) will stay put under the new paint?

Sponsored Links
r&b, good evening.

Suggest if you opt to remove the remaining paint, have a look at "Soda Blasting" a far softer option than Sand Blasting, the Soda will not damage the roughcast render, but is will remove the old paint.

Ken.

Hi Bosswhite and Ken

Thanks for your suggestions, fellas. I had not heard of soda blasting so I'll do a bit of research on that before deciding which way to go.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back