Flaking paint on external rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have an issue in front of the house. And getting conflicting advice so decided to post it on here for expert advice. Originally, due to scaffolders placing tubes too close to the wall, rendering was done and wasn’t painted. when scaffold came off, the patch was painted at a later date. At first, it didn’t look too bad but after one year started to get worse and now look like this on the picture added.
few painters told me it could be cleaned up/sanded down/touches up and then repaint the whole front of the house. The others, recommending re-rendering entire thing.
please help
2591BE4D-0F67-43F4-BB1D-4E1921A0395C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Was the touch in coat of masonry paint thinned first?

Re-rendering sounds like overkill.

Most of the dodgy area looks like where it was painted later, however, the top right ripples look like the original coat of paint.

I would recommend scraping off the loose stuff, applying a dilute coat followed by two full fat coats and seeing how it holds up.

If it is OK months down the line, you can use a filler such as Toupret Touprelith F. It has a slightly granular texture and is easy to feather out. You may need to throw some sand at the wet masonry paint to make it look more granular though.

Was the touch in coat of masonry paint thinned first?

Re-rendering sounds like overkill.

Most of the dodgy area looks like where it was painted later, however, the top right ripples look like the original coat of paint.

I would recommend scraping off the loose stuff, applying a dilute coat followed by two full fat coats and seeing how it holds up.

If it is OK months down the line, you can use a filler such as Toupret Touprelith F. It has a slightly granular texture and is easy to feather out. You may need to throw some sand at the wet masonry paint to make it look more granular though.
Thank you so much, that’s the best advice I’ve been given so far. Much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back