Flaking paint/plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise how to solve this please. I have sanded it down and painted in the past but the problem keeps arising. Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's a damp problem of some description. Where is this wall in relation to the outside/ground/plumbing or anything else capable of introducing water?

The wall is what would have been the outside corner of the house until the kitchen extension was built but as it is now, it is an internal wall.
There are no pipes that could be causing the damp.
Any ideas then? I'm leaning towards rising damp but seems strange on that one corner?

Tell me if you rub your hand over that area do you get a chalky powdery residue on your fingers.

Dec

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to say with the paint coming off aswell but I would say yes.
What are you thinking?
Would using an oil based undercoat help matters?

Thanks Rich

Rich,

What I believe you have there is efflorescence, this is where salts become activated thus causing the breakdown of painted surfaces..

Firstly do not wet the area. scrape back any loose paintwork dust off the area and apply one coat of alkali resisting primer, when dry do any filling required and sand to achieve uniformity, again dust off and mist the area with a thinned emulsion. you should then be ok to continue.

Dec

Thanks Dec. Will give that a try then.
Also, can I use any general purpose filler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back