Flaking rusting RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could help me. Just moved to a new house and on looking in the side void area, I noticed the RSJs in there have almost an orange peel dimple effect and big pieces of the red paint have fallen off around the RSJs. Unfortunately I can't get in a lot of the area to rub down and repaint. Some of the pieces of paint are a few mm thick with paint on one side and rusty metal on the other. Is this an issue?

I can't work out how to upload my picture, sorry.

Sponsored Links
I can't work out how to upload my picture, sorry.

//www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

Alternatively use an image hosting site, e.g. http://postimage.org/ (other sites are available) to upload your images.

Screen_Hunter_120_Mar_21_09_41.jpg

Some hosting sites don't allow direct links to the images, and make you use thumbnails, but if so the good ones will provide the code all packaged and ready to paste in.

Sponsored Links
In a heated house, the initial loss of steel to rust over the first year or so will be around 0.01 to 0.02 mm (say 0.015). This forms a firm coating on the steel which, if left undisturbed, will slow the loss of steel down to about 0.01mm/year.

Much of the strength of a steel beam lies in the web (the vertical part), and in a typical domestic setting, the web of a steel beam will be around 5mm thick. So if we assume that the strength begins to become compromised when the web is down to - say - 3mm thick, then that gives it around 200 years.

Post back then for further advice if it's any thinner.

If you can get access (which is sounds like you can't), then you can scrub it with a wire brush. Wear goggles is imperative. Then you can repaint with red oxide. Take a picture you can show for when you sell on the house.
Typical life is at least 60 years if left outside in the cold and the rain..

That could well be about right, so presumably if it's indoors - dry and relatively warm - and not subject to abrasion by wind etc, it should easily last a lot longer than 60 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back