RSJ rusted

E

edthegr8

Hello,

I came across this forum and hoping somebody who knows what they are talking about can help me. I'm willing to admit I have no idea about these sort of things.

I have recently removed the side of the bath to check the bath supports after the sealant cracked - looks like the bath was sealed without any weight in it before we moved in. However, on looking underneath a loose floorboard I can see the steel RSJ that supports where a wall between the kitchen and dining room was removed years ago.

This RSJ looks rusty. I am confused to why it would be rusty as there is no evidence of water damage anywhere else. I might be wrong but if water were leaking onto it, then I would have expected to see staining on the ceiling either side of the RSJ.

I have uploaded a photo which is the best I could take but which shows the colour of the RSJ at least. I assume that this is a problem.......is it likely that the rsj will have to be replaced by a builder?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ed

Sponsored Links
It might have been a reclaimed rsj fitted, or stood outside for years.
They are normally treated with red oxide prior to fitting.
If its only surface rust, I wouldnt worry about it.

You can see some dampness marks (tide marks) on the joists that sit on it. If they are not wet now I imagine your bath or shower has leaked at some time in the past.

I think it is only surface rust, my brother reckoned that if you scratch it and the scratches look shiny to torch light then its probably only surface rust......................the shower is leaking at the moment (hence why I am fiddling around under there) but I don't think those tide marks are recent. Do they look like an issue?

Thanks for your help guys

Sponsored Links
RSJs will rust in-situ wherever they are installed. Its normal

The rate at which a beam rusts indoors, it will become a problem in about 1100 years.

As Woodcock has said, worry aboot sumat else.

When I check rusted steel members, typically I take 6mm of rust to be 1mm of steel lost. Just to give you an indication of how insignificant that rust is (in my opinion), however if its damp in there then it may cause your great great great gran children a problem.

Thanks guys, it's pretty dry under there so taking on board your advice I should be fine.

I was just worried by the fact that the rsj has been used as thr supporting wall pretty much under where the bath sits.

I would give it a wire brush and a coat of red oxide now that you have seen it.
I know not necessary but that's what I would do.

I can't easily get to the rsj to paint it. That photo was taken lying next to the bath with my arm at full stretch

I didnt even bother painting the one in my loft conversion (projects section) BC did want it fire boarded though to comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back