flaky artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

applied mist (30% water to emulsion) coat to bare artex ceiling, most of the paint went on ok, but i have one patch about 2 ft square that just will not accept the thinned emulson.

any clues as it is driving me nuts!!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
1/ Is it just been artexed ? 2/ What artex was used ? 3/ Was the artex out-of-date ? 4/ What is the Exact name & Instructions of the emulsion used ? 5/ Are you 100% sure the artex has never been emulsioned ? 6/ Is the problem area flaking ? or any other problems with mentioned area !

artex about 10 years old, certain its not been painted. the paint was a standard dulux matt emulsion. no probs with flaky area to my knowledge

Is there a Dulux Emulsion called "Standard Dulux Matt Emulsion". If so, then i have never heard of it or used it.

Therefore, what is the EXACT name of the emulsion ?

Is any emulsion flaking at all ?

Also, what is the instructions.

Does the artex feel chalky/porous ? (I ask this cos ready mixed artex is not chalky)

Out of interest, is the ceiling in an Kitchen ?

Sponsored Links
artex does feel chalky and porus, yes its a kitchen, will recheck the piant spec,

cheers

artex does feel chalky and porus, yes its a kitchen, will recheck the piant spec,

cheers

I read this post with interest as late last year, I gave my kitchen ceiling a fresh coat of kitchen emulsion. We hav ebene in the house 18 months and do not know how the ceiling was finished. The surface of the ceiling appears lightly artexed and had been painted previously.

Anyway if I rolled over the same area too many times, I got the previous coat of paint peeling off in large sections. Underneath, I could see what looks like fresh plaster ( though textured) BOO.

I had to be quite careful to finish the job and ended up touching the ceiling up light with a brush.

I want to sort it out properly as it will need a paint again in a few years and in my naive wisdom I am planning to get rid of the artex....however if there is a cheaper option out there then I'm happy to listen to ideas.

Additionally, the plaster has been removed and the walls stripped back to the brick before being painted and I can see a few patches where the paint is coming off. There was a damp problem with we had fixed when we moved in, but am wondering if I need to wire brush the paint off, seal the bricks and then repaint?

Ta

Are you meaning you want to paint the bare brick ?

Has your ceiling still got plaster/artex on it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back