flaky brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently found that bits and pieces have flaked off from some of the bricks of my conservatory. There is also some white powder-ish thing left on the bricks. What is the cause of this, is it due to moisture? How do I deal with it? Any tips would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
have the bricks blown or perished. have the faces blown away from the brick?

maybe a photo? please.

thanks for your reply. Just a piece of the brick face broke off, leaving a "scar" with some white powder type thing on it. BTW it is the outside brick of the conservatory.

white powder or effluorescence is perfectly normal.

it is especially prevalent during a dry spell that has followed a particularly wet spell.

if the brick has blown then there may be more to follow. some bricks are just simply bad. a batch may have been overfired and should only be sold as hard core or non-facework commons.

is, or are the damaged bricks close to the ground?

Sponsored Links
You are right: we had some stormy weather early last week followed by dry and sunny days for the past 3 days.
There are two layers of bricks under the glass conservatory.
The damaged bricks are second layer from the ground (i.e. there is one layer below it).
Do I need to do anything to the flaked bricks, or shall I wait and see?

Many Thanks.

These bricks sound like they are below dpc.
are they the kind with a 'leaf' on the face, and have they been laid upside down? (ie with the leaf pointing upwards?)
If below dpc, either don't worry or get them changed for class b engineering, (expensive now)

Looks like chalk in the clay has expanded (due to moisture) and blown the face off.

Poor quality bricks - possible seconds?

Were the bricks in the last batch of frosty weather? Looks like frost damage to me.

Hi, newby,
even with the pic it's hard to see what has caused it,
could it be condensation dripping off the plastic and keeping the brick face wet each morning and then drying?
If this is the case you can get the fitters to cover/ put a drip ledge on to the plastic.

Thanks for all your replies. Shall I get some professional to have a look and repair the bricks, or leave it for now and continue monitoring the situation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back