Flaky Paint On Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed some of the paint on the ceiling in my bathroom flaking away from the ceiling itself. Suspecting a damp problem, I scraped away the loose paint and revealed the bare plaster. The plaster itself shows no signs of mould, and a quick test with a Protimeter revealed the plaster was dry :eek: . After contactin the previuos owner, he said it happened often. I am about to redecorate and do not wish it to happen again. Has anyone got any ideas to help. Please. :?:

Sponsored Links
Is it a newish type property? Possibly a result of pva being applied to bare plaster then a thick coat of emulsion. Result years later the pva fails when wet( Bathroom steam) and emulsion starts to flake. Or the first coat on virgin plaster was too thick and is just laying ontop of plaster.

The correct method for emulsioning bare plaster is to mist coat ( a very thin coat of emulsion this allows the emulsion to soak into plaster) followed by one/ two coats of a more round coat of emulsion.
Try scraping to sound emulsion, spot prime bare areas with thin emulsion then coat overhaul. You might find the rest bubbles when you paint but if you want to leave it alone it will normally go back. the correct way of course is to get ot off :evil:
good luck
john.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back