Flaky paint on plasterboard - what to do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have stripped all the wall paper off only to find that there is a very thin opaque paint that is flaky on the plasterboard. If I steam the paint I can remove it, though not without gouging the plasterboard. I have stopped doing that. The question is what to do next ?

I want a finishing surface so I can white emulsion it.

It's in a 1972 construction bungalow.

Thank you

kez

Sponsored Links
Scrape of what you can then get it skimmed.

kes, from some of your photos, it does look as if you are left with with the remains of an earlier mistake of wallpaper paste being put on top of a water based vinyl emulsion. The two coatings have reacted against each other but were hidden once the hung wallpaper had dried out. You have just caused it to soften and separate again which is why it is all flaky

If your skills were up to it, let everything dry out completely, sand the walls with a 120 grit paper to take all the dried bits off, skim over all the bad areas with filler, let it dry, skim again to ensure a good cover, then give a light sand again using a finer 240 grit.

Give the walls a mist paint coat, dulux supermatt is ok, check again when dry and give the wall a quick de-nib then give your 2 top coats of vinyl matt colour.
If however you are papering, leave off the paint coats. Skim, sand and size, then hang your lining paper.

If you are not up to this, then do as joe-90 said, get a friendly plasterer to skim all the walls again. :)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the help. I'm very grateful.

I'm going to do what has been suggested and skim one of the walls with multi-finish. On that wall skimming a coat of plaster cannot be avoided.

The other three walls are however quite good. For them does anyone know of a thick filler paint that will "layer up" and effectively planarise the wall surface, with enough coats ?
This "layer up" paint would be intended to fill out the areas where bits of the previous emulsion / wallpaper paste "reaction mixture" have flaked off leaving slightly deeper collections of spots on the wall.

Final coat will be white matt water based emulsion paint.

Thank you

Regards

Kez

Sponsored Links
Skim it with toupret tx130 cos you can rub it down (very very dusty) which you cant do with plaster which also takes a high degree of skill to apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back