Flash like lightning from socket... URGENT ADVICE SOUGHT

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is in a student house in cardiff and just sent me the following message – what should I advise please?

"Dad when I plug in my laptop charger into the socket there is a big flash of light under the plug like a lightening bolt.... what does that mean??"

Sponsored Links
Obviously avoid using it and report it in the morning, they should have there
own maintenance to check it , though if you feel its neccessary they should have 24 hour emergency response.

They will at least check the sockets safe and VISIBLY check the charger and advise her accordingly

Its possibly her charger faulty and there only concerned with there installation, not where you stand if shes plugging in a faulty charger though as its not there property

It can't hurt to have these things checked out but typically chargers use switch mode power designs which, as designed, will draw a large current on connection and therefore give the symptoms you describe.

Mine's done it loads of times and the end of the pins are highly scorched and pitted. Part of the problem of offices with unswitched sockets!

If an electrician/check can't find anything best advice is plug the charger in and then turn on the socket, not the other way round.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, really appreciated by me and my daughter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back