Can one run boxed dual sockets linked together from an extension cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys I'll try keep this short. We have a cable that used to run to outside spot lights in our garden, this cable goes into my bedroom and is connected via a plug that goes into a wall socket to turn on and off as we please. I was wondering could I use the existing cable and chain a few double sockets together for my shed that's going to be built soon. I've created a sort of diagram below to help explain what I mean. Nothing strenuous will be added to these sockets, only the likes of a projecter, possibly a game console and some led lighting strips to light up the shed at night time. Apart from that maybe the odd phone charger and music speaker.

This current cable I believe has a plug and 13amp fuse inside it at the house end. I was wondering is it possible to achieve what I want to do.

PicsArt_03-08-11.41.38.jpg

I would love to position these double sockets in certain areas of the shed to suit my needs. Mostly up hight out of the way. Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with plugging in an extension lead with multi socket outlets.

There may be issues over protection of cable and cable size, but unless you live in Wales nothing really to stop you.

There is nothing that explicitly prohibits running fixed sockets off a plug.

However, cables need to be of adequate size for the application, cables that run overhead need to be adequately supported, cables that run underground need to be adequately protected (normally achieved by using steel wire armoured cable). Structures that cables are attached to need to be adequately robust for the job. Cables must be supported/restrained such that stress is not placed on electrical terminations.

Blurring the line between extension leads and proper fixed wiring is often a sign of dangerous lash-ups. What is acceptable for a cable that is in place for hours or days is very different from what is acceptable for a cable that is in place for months, years or even decades.

Last edited:
There is nothing that explicitly prohibits running fixed sockets off a plug.

However, cables need to be of adequate size for the application, cables that run overhead need to be adequately supported, cables that run underground need to be adequately protected (normally achieved by using steel wire armoured cable). Structures that cables are attached to need to be adequately robust for the job. Cables must be supported/restrained such that stress is not placed on electrical terminations.

Blurring the line between extension leads and proper fixed wiring is often a sign of dangerous lash-ups. What is acceptable for a cable that is in place for hours or days is very different from what is acceptable for a cable that is in place for months, years or even decades.
I am somewhat amazed that a "set-up" such as this as proposed would be allowed anywhere in the UK. (It would not be allowed in several other countries of which I can think !)

The OP wrote "We have a cable that used to run to outside spot lights in our garden, this cable goes into my bedroom and is connected via a plug that goes into a wall socket to turn on and off as we please."
(It was not stated how the cable leaves the house - via an open door, window, random hole in the wall or what?)

However, if the OP wishes to do anything like this - and the Shed is not connected to the dwelling - the Shed should be treated in a manner similar to a caravan or mobile home and provided with a Socket Inlet, (https://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk...-with-sprung-lid-240v-ip44-3-pole-513-6d.html) or similar.
The extension lead should be provided with the corresponding (female) "Plug" - which is actually a "Socket Outlet"- (https://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk...a-connector-socket-240v-ip44-by-mennekes.html), in lieu of any "Extension Lead" BS 1363 Socket Outlet.

The installation in the Shed can then be made with appropriate TPS "Building Cables" and Socket Outlet hardware - hopefully, to UK standards.

Sponsored Links
It is quite common to see temporary lash ups of this sort feeding traffic lights at roadworks.

Winston1

Please read Chapter 6 regulations for road works signage. page 166

LINK

27.9.9.  Interconnecting cables and joint boxes should be waterproof and protected against accidental damage. Any cable left lying above ground should be positioned so that it cannot be damaged by plant using the area or create a hazard for other road users. Where temporary signals use surface laid cables, extra low voltage should be used.

Winston1

Please read Chapter 6 regulations for road works signage. page 166

LINK

27.9.9.  Interconnecting cables and joint boxes should be waterproof and protected against accidental damage. Any cable left lying above ground should be positioned so that it cannot be damaged by plant using the area or create a hazard for other road users. Where temporary signals use surface laid cables, extra low voltage should be used.
OK. The cables are usually yellow artic strung in the air. I assume at 110v.

The cable has been there for years. It is linked to 4 outside water proof switches also. My plan was to daisy chain a few boxed double sockets for ease of use in the shed. For better coverage of the area (if that makes sense). The cable outside is for outdoor use it's a strong cable put in by an electrician long back.

It is quite common to see temporary lash ups of this sort feeding traffic lights at roadworks.
Huh?
I really don't uderstand how temporary traffic lights can in any way be compared with multiple sockets in a shed.

I really don't uderstand how temporary traffic lights can in any way be compared with multiple sockets in a shed

Especially when the vast majority of temporary traffic lights are operated on 24 volts from batteries in the base of the head and linked not by cable but by wireless.

The cable has been there for years. It is linked to 4 outside water proof switches also. My plan was to daisy chain a few boxed double sockets for ease of use in the shed. For better coverage of the area (if that makes sense). The cable outside is for outdoor use it's a strong cable put in by an electrician long back.
If you want advice on whether your current setup is safe and whether it can be safely extended to do what you want we need a lot more information, including.

The sizes of the cables, unless the cable is really ancient the size should be printed or embossed on the cable jacket.

Pictures showing the types and routes of the existing cables.

Pictures showing the wiring of the existing accessories.

Pictures showing where you intend to make additions.

Whether or not RCD protection is present on the circuit supplying this system (if in doubt post a picture of your consumer unit).

However, if the OP wishes to do anything like this - and the Shed is not connected to the dwelling - the Shed should be treated in a manner similar to a caravan or mobile home and provided with a Socket Inlet,.... The extension lead should be provided with the corresponding (female) "Plug" - which is actually a "Socket Outlet" .... in lieu of any "Extension Lead" BS 1363 Socket Outlet. .... The installation in the Shed can then be made with appropriate TPS "Building Cables" and Socket Outlet hardware - hopefully, to UK standards.
I can't speak for anywhere else but, to the best of my knowledge, that is an approach which would virtually never be taken in relation to the electricity supply to a domestic outbuilding in the UK.

Kind Regards, John

I can't speak for anywhere else but, to the best of my knowledge, that is an approach which would virtually never be taken in relation to the electricity supply to a domestic outbuilding in the UK.

Kind Regards, John
I do have to agree. Unless of course the shed were being equipped with a view to running a lead to it on an adhoc basis only when power is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back