Using 13amp switch box thing for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The outbuildings article link in the wiki goes to a page not found :(

We have a surface mounted pattress box thing with a switch on it and a 13amp fuse in it. Its on the upstairs ring main. It currently feeds an outdoor security light.

Can i use this to feed a light and a plug socket in the shed?

The shed is immediately below where the wire comes through wall if that matters.. there will be about 300mm of cable running down the wall then into the shed.

Sponsored Links
The outbuildings article link in the wiki goes to a page not found :(
A combination of a f***wit website manager at the IET, and DIYnot choosing a Wiki package which is such a PITA to use that, sadly, nobody bothers to update it any more.

https://electrical.theiet.org/wirin...-outdoors-a-supply-to-a-detached-outbuilding/

Can i use this to feed a light and a plug socket in the shed?
Is the circuit RCD protected?

The shed is immediately below where the wire comes through wall if that matters.. there will be about 300mm of cable running down the wall then into the shed.
What sort of cable?

How wide is the gap between house and shed?

How are you planning to support the cable?

Thanks! The circuit is on an 80amp 30mA RCD switch in the consumer unit.

Gap between house and shed is about 2 inch.

The wire that feeds the current security light is using those cable clip things nailed into the mortar.

How is it supposed to be done, in a metal conduit?

Sponsored Links
So I'm using the method shown in Fig. 2 on that IET pdf.

It doesn't say what cable to use, can you use standard twin and earth if its in a conduit?

I'm intending to use it for an orbital sander and a palm router... if that affects things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back