13amp or 20amp Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hopefully you can help.

A juction box in a wall (unaccesable) has been used to take a spur of the ring to 3 sockets.

Connected to the 3 sockets are a tv, Sky box and fridge and occasionally a 2kw electric heater (plug in type)

My thinking is to put in place either a 13amp FCU of a 20amp DP switch in place of the Junction box.

The fridge, TV and sky box will all be on at the same time, with the Heater pugged in during the cold spells.

Will the FCU blow its fuse with all 4 items connected or should i go for the 20amp Switch?

Sponsored Links
An unfused spur may only supply one single or double socket, therefore use an FCU (switched type if you like) with a 13A fuse. This is to prevent overloading the spur with things like electric heaters ;)

Add up the loads you will connect, and if it comes to more than 3kW (13A) (it's going to be close!) I suggest plugging you heater in elsewhere.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back