flashing on a lean-to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house which has had a lean-to extension built to the side of it. I found out shortly after moving in that there is a hideous leak in the leanto roof and when i looked at the flashing (which was mentioned breifly in the survey) it looks like a botch job. its basically a lead strip sat on top of the roof and going up the wall, rather than going into it. Obviously this means that water will run behind it straight into the roof.

I want to replace the flashing but will need to cut into the wall to do it, i'm not sure on how deep to go or what to cut with (i thought an angle grinder?) I dont know what soakers are either and whether or not i'll need them, and finally, do i need to secure the flashing or will the mortar for re-pointing the groove i cut hold the flashing in place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am quite a novice.

Sponsored Links
does the wall have water running down it? If so, is there a faulty gutter or something above it?

Unless it faces a strong coastal wind and is in heavy rain, water does not usually run down a wall like a waterfall.

if the existing flashing is secure, then why don't you just chase in a cover flashing?

soakers are commonly used at side abutments and are generally for plain tiles.

Hi. As noseall has stated using a cover flashing is the easiest method, Simple fold a length of code 4 sheet lead (max 1.5m) 270mm girth. 100mm up wall and rest down roof, fit lead straps (50mm wide strips) at say 450mm centres
fix at head of roof. introduce the flashing turn up the straps to stop it sliding down roof. Chase out joint above flashing and fit a cover flashing into chase (min 30mm ) if you use a thin disc you will not be able to fit lead wedges easily to secure the cover flashing. Lead sealent may be used on thin joints as a substitute for sand and cement. Check out this site there are video that may help Good Luck. http://justlead.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
yeah i think that the cover flashing is a good proposition thanks for all those specs too, i'll sort that out this weekend me thinks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back