Flashing, ridge tiles and changing a roof light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, apologies I have a few queries on the forum. I've just come back from the house and I have a lot of thoughts buzzing around but I'd like gain some opinions from people more experienced.

The kitchen extension on the house (photo links below)

Has no flashing, it has a cement fillet. Should I remove this and install some lead flashing (no evidence of leaks at present).

The ridge tiles need taking up and re bedding, but I can see quite a few gaps between what I assume is a cement bed the tiles are bedded on. Should I fill these gaps?

Lastly, the aluminium roof light needs to be replaced, it's approx 60x80cm. Is this going to be a bespoke item to replace. Is it a relatively simple task to replace.

Sorry for all the questions. I want to tackle all the external issues prior to starting inside.

Thank you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18pL2zu7WxtLpUYEnY7j3qi1XjwVzYjL0/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zy50CXQRBKM2PkUrBL2_51mT8fBfPGYi/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1__k0nL9hIpwbv8Sv_fQ1LRAyry92mpuH/view?usp=drivesdk

Sponsored Links
just read your other posts and back posts. why not get them all together

I could, it could get quite a long post involving a few different topics. Hence I tried to separate them out. Happy to go with whatever is best and edit posts accordingly, if it's more acceptable to lump them into one post.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I'll try and ask them what's best. Obviously new to the forum and don't want to annoy people.

I was trying to keep the roofing queries together.

The cast skylight can be replaced with a velux.

Removing the cement fillet will take out a load of slates with it...i would leave it.

If you are taking off and rebedding your ridge tiles you wont have any spaces.

I'd not considered how well the fillet could be bonded, thanks. Could I use a wider lead and flash over it?

I will be refitting a new kitchen, I just wanted to ensure its all ok outside before I started work inside.

Looks like there is a velux size that's not far off for replacing that roof light.

Thanks

no problems mate. i think it will help you if as many photos are in one place.
just me but ive never seen torching like that. is it because the house is exposed to weather?
if youdo mess about with that torched on roofin slate for the velux you could think about doing the whole roof to modern standards.
sods law the fillet an ridge will play up as soon as you occupy the place. the fillets failing near the top and its running into the window sill

spend your cash on making the place water titight and comfortablebefore doin up the inside

Last edited:
Thats the way it was done in Scotland in years gone by Bob....still is on older buildings.

I might just take down all the posts and start with one combined post, all my photos are in one album anyway.

I'd not spotted the failed section by the window.

I had to Google 'torching' so I'm staying with the conversation :) ( I thought you had referred to the flatter extended roof section) i might need to investigate from inside to see if it's sound, and I'll need a lime based mortar mix to keep it breathable if I do rake anything out to tidy it up.

I'm glad I've asked about it now!

I would imagine it was once quite exposed, but developments around this plot now shelter it considerably. Circa 1960 it appears a large retaining wall and 3 storey house got built which now protect that exposed side to the west, and another high level line of terrace houses protect from the north.

Thank you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back