Flashing & Soakers

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. Just one last thing. If I use soakers, does that mean that my stepped flashing need only be vertical on the brickwork and not fold horizontally over the slates ?
Correct, you will only then need to fit a stepped cover flashing.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone specify an actual online supplier who has 350mm or 375mm preformed aluminium soakers ?

Unfortunately I don't think you will get preformed ones.

It is easier and cheaper to make your own.

Buy either a roll of 180mm Code 3 if you want to be absolutely correct or Code 3 150mm which will be adequate.

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. Just one last thing. If I use soakers, does that mean that my stepped flashing need only be vertical on the brickwork and not fold horizontally over the slates ?
Correct, you will only then need to fit a stepped cover flashing.

Will 150mm be OK for this ?

Hey, will post some photos when this is finished and maybe invite you lot to the house warming !!

Can anyone specify an actual online supplier who has 350mm or 375mm preformed aluminium soakers ?

Unfortunately I don't think you will get preformed ones.

It is easier and cheaper to make your own.

Buy either a roll of 180mm Code 3 if you want to be absolutely correct or Code 3 150mm which will be adequate.

Yep Mr Roofer, you have convinced me. I will make my own. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I too must be out of touch as I have never seen 180mm lead of the shelf.

Yes, Aaron Roofing Supplies in Bath ( part of the Roofshop chain ) also never heard of it. They supply imperial sizes only.

My curiosity was not about metric v's imperial, rather the odd size of 180mm lead.

I appreciate that lead is sold in metric but i can honestly say that i have not come across the size 180mm (7").

I have no doubts that if there is a demand for it then it will be sold in that size.

I was also surprised to learn that 150mm soakers are no longer acceptable on sites (plain tiles) as this has been tried and tested for hundreds of years and has worked without incident as far as i am aware.

I certainly will not be rushing out to buy 180mm lead for plain tile soakers, or replacing any that i have already fitted, as i don't see the need.

Noseall. I think the change would have been for slates, say 24x12 as they would look a bit long and narrow, but for plain tiles 150mm I would not change. But does 7"=180mm lead exist ?

Maybe I should start supplying soakers made to order?

We use stainless steel which will last hundreds of years and they're not worth stealing so won't be attractive to thieves.

I could supply zinc soakers which would be slightly cheaper. In my experience I always make my soakers as big as possible to elimate it as a future weak point. I've seen so many roofers make them out of whatever they can as to save money but abutments are where water congregates and can become a major problem.

I too must be out of touch as I have never seen 180mm lead of the shelf.

Yes, Aaron Roofing Supplies in Bath ( part of the Roofshop chain ) also never heard of it. They supply imperial sizes only.

It is 2012, if you find lead that has the imperial size written on it, I will buy you it myself!

Merry Christmas.

True, I will not find lead marked in imperial sizes. I used the term 'imperial' loosely and I was referring to 150mm, 225mm and 300mm. However, where did 180mm come from ? I mean it's close to 7" and I have never, ever heard a plumber or roofer talk about 7" lead !! I realise that it does exist, but the reason very few roofing suppliers stock it is because they have never been asked for it.

Maybe I should start supplying soakers made to order?

We use stainless steel which will last hundreds of years and they're not worth stealing so won't be attractive to thieves.

I could supply zinc soakers which would be slightly cheaper. In my experience I always make my soakers as big as possible to elimate it as a future weak point. I've seen so many roofers make them out of whatever they can as to save money but abutments are where water congregates and can become a major problem.

I read on the internet that soakers should be 'gauge + lap +25mm' long. So in my case, that's 375mm. My local roofing supplier only sells 300mm ones. I am not convinced that they even understand how they work ! Anyway, I will either make my own or get Mr Hardmetalking to make me some.

Exellent idea HMK :idea: I`d buy them off you - the fact that you`ll get a tight 90 deg. angle is good - better than belting a bit of lead about . Get that Brake Press going - and advertise them on t`web ;)

Right I'm definitely going to do it! I can make whatever size, shape and angle you require. I think I may even start my own small supply website as well because by the sound of things they haven't got a clue. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back