flashing vs flaunching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having the roof of my ground floor kitchen re done. Where the pitched roof of the kitchen meets the wall of the house, instead of stepped flashing, the roofer has put mortar flaunching: mortar sat on a bell bead lapping over the soakers. I've never seen this before and to me it doesn't look as good as flashing: if the mortar fails or cracks, it will leak. What do people reckon? Is this standard practice? is it as good as flashing?

Sponsored Links
It is not good practice. If the wall needs to be rendered then a separate flashing should be chased into the wall before the render bead and rendering is done.

this is before finishing coat. Aluminium soakers underneath

Attachments

• flaunch.jpg
    flaunch.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
rsk1, good evening.

Mortar flaunching is still common up here in the far frozen north, especially around Aberdeen.

Mortar is highly prone to cracking and allowing water to enter.

Lead will last 50 / 70 / 100 Years.

No brainer

Ken

no it was proper metal soakers. I assume they are aluminium, don't know what else non-lead soakers would be made of

rsk1, good evening again.

There are several "Sticky Tape" silver / lead / black coloured cheap jack non-permanent, in effect "Emergency" repair options.

Check out "FlashBand"

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back