Flat lead roof/drainage area downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very small section of flat roof (it is the bottom join between two semi-detached roofs). It is a single sheet of lead and is in good condition.
View media item 61448 That is not my roof but is the same/similar design.

Towards the rear is the downpipe for this small flat section. It seems that somewhere there is an issue with the join of this downpipe to the lead flat section, as when water drains, some of it runs down the outside of the downpipe below.

I guess either the downpipe (cast iron) has corroded inside and there is a hole, or the downpipe is not sealed to the lead properly. Is there a cheap way to place over and slot into the downpipe a new skin (like a funnel)?

Something like this but can be retrofitted? View media item 68494I dont know how I would form a good seal on top of the existing lead though.

Sponsored Links
That outlet is for single ply, you can have a new lead outlet made and welded into the downpipe that's already there. Maybe a longer pipe to sit inside the downpipe. Or maybe even a new downpipe.

That outlet is for single ply, you can have a new lead outlet made and welded into the downpipe that's already there. Maybe a longer pipe to sit inside the downpipe. Or maybe even a new downpipe.

Yeh, i guess i should just wait and get it done properly, the diamater of the hole is ludicrous when considering the amount of roof area it needs to cope with, it is about the size of a bath plug hole. It is an original design flaw it seems.

I was just wondering if there was a bodge i could do in the mean time to stop it leaking down the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back