Flat pack timber windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone know where you can buy made to measure flat pack (kit) timber windows.

I found this website http://www.diywoodwindows.co.uk/ that did provide the window frames already pre machined, seals, all the iron mongery. When I called them they had ceased trading.

I have tried a few other places but they only supply the timber fames, and I would have to source everything else.

Does anyone know of anywhere else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why timber windows
We're replacing our conservatory windows and I want them to match timber bi-fold doors that are right next to it. I prefer Timber over other materials and am happy to maintain it.

What's the advantage of buying windows like that?
why flat pack?

I have had quotes for bespoke windows making and cannot afford it. This way would be more financially efficient if I had to build, treat and glaze them myself.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the legislation surrounding replacement windows probably discourages these kinds of kits nowadays.

That's an interesting concept.

If you try local joiners and the price is still too high, then just ask them to machine the sections, supply the ironmongery, but not assemble the frames. That's all that other company would have done.

As Freddie alludes to ... not too sure how you would conform to current building legislation with this, as the 'whole' window has to conform to a minimum 'u' value of 1.6 or higher ( by higher I mean the actual number gets lower ...eg 1.2 etc...)

I have found another company that do the flat pack windows but only in hard wood so I will see how the price comes back. This supplier provides the draft seals and specifies the type of glazing needed in order for the windows to meet building regs.

I'll try a local joiners next as woody suggests.

These are only replacement windows for a conservatory but even if I were building an extension, surely BC would be ok as long as the glass has the appropriate planitherm or pilkington sticker on it?

I very much dought you could get self assembled timber window that would pass building regs but in this case as its a conservatory no building regs apply (assuming it is separated from the house by an external grade door). The only thing you need to comply with is critical location glazing.

I very much dought you could get self assembled timber window that would pass building regs

BC have just passed my home made rooflights in my extension. I don't see how windows would be treated any different.
Why would BC treat self assembled & joinery workshop made frames any differently, it's a lump of wood holding a piece of glass in place with appropriate draft/weathersealing.

Last edited:
Basically there are a few thousand pages of regulations (I'm not even going to attempt to say which ones are relevant here) Licenses and testing required.
Alot of the regulations have changed recently and most BCO's probably arnt up-to date on them. As soon as you get one who knows his stuff and asks for the paperwork to back up the windows that's when you will have problems.

If a window company wants to change the make of glass they use now they have to spend a few thousand on testing.
Its a bit like building a kit car and expecting to be able to be allowed to drive it on the road without any testing, Just because the part come from a reputable company doesnt mean everyone is going to put them together correctly.

You don't need paperwork to back up use of timber windows. The u-value of timber is known, as is that of various glazing and coatings.

Sometimes you might need the unit filled with argon instead of air, other times not.

People have this preconception that timber windows can't be used, when in fact they can with no problems. As mentioned, timber frames are still made and fitted in their thousands, and almost all window frame installations are subject to building regulations - so they must be acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back