Flat pack timber windows

Sponsored Links
When you see FENSA registered firms routinely fit inappropriate frames or glazing, or replace timber frames (fire resistance), with plastic frames (no fire resistance), or replace load bearing frames with non load bearing frames, or fail to install lintels where required, or carry out work that should be subject to a separate b/regs application but do not make that application, then it makes you wonder exactly what FENSA is for.

When you see FENSA registered firms routinely fit inappropriate frames or glazing, or replace timber frames (fire resistance), with plastic frames (no fire resistance), or replace load bearing frames with non load bearing frames, or fail to install lintels where required, or carry out work that should be subject to a separate b/regs application but do not make that application, then it makes you wonder exactly what FENSA is for.
I understand that fully...that was supposed to be one of the reasons for the Mtc card...

But may I ask what you actually do for a living?......

Sponsored Links
May I ask what you do Woody, as I am trying to work out if the info CPS schemes give out is misleading......

Building surveying mainly, building control and some other regulatory work occasionally.

I don't think there is anything particularity wrong with the info provided by any of the scheme organisations, but rather with the schemes themselves.

PVC windows are self extinguishing unlike timber so I think the fire resistance comment is a little unfair but I agree with the rest of your comments.

PVC windows are self extinguishing unlike timber so I think the fire resistance comment is a little unfair but I agree with the rest of your comments.

Whilst self being extinguishing, plastic frames are not fire resistant. Nor are the beads and gaskets. This has implications for windows on or close to a boundary when frames melt and the glass falls out, allowing fire spread.

Also, there are instances where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to properties, and this essentially covers means of escape by occupants. It's not uncommon to find that timber frames on escape routes have been swapped for plastic, which do not resist fire. Standard glass is most likely used too.

The problem is that customers think that by using a FENSA/self cert firm, that means that the windows will comply with any necessary regulations. That might be more of a FENSA issue though, along with the governments poor implementation of this scheme. However a personal observation on individual firms is that almost all tend to just consider compliance with Part L1a as the sole criteria, of the installation.

Your right Fensa basically dont ask anything of us in the way of fire resistance just the means of escape.
To my basic knowledge the only time fire door/glass/glazing are required in domestic property's are doors directly from the house the a garage and communal areas.
Are there any other times its needed for domestic? Just interested so I can do a bit of reading up. Thanks

On a single house it is just garage doors, doors/openings to rooms off stairs in houses with three or more storeys, and openings on boundaries.

Fire precautions are more onerous in multi-occupancy buildings - flats, HMO's, etc which still come under domestic installs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back