Flat porch roofing material without guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to build a house and have seen a few self builds that have opted for flat roofs on external porches instead of pitched roof.

I can't seem to find anything on these, it's hard to see the top but theres usually a 50mm metal lip visible from the front that hangs over where the facia would normally be. Looks like lead or zinc coloured from memory, but there's never any facia or gutters visible, usually some type of stone moulding. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I can't see it either :!: Could be a lead flat roof. Doesn't need a gutter if less than 2m2 area. Is it a porch or a canopy :?:
As a matter of interest are you getting somebody to design the house for you :?:

I can't seem to find anything on these, it's hard to see the top but theres usually a 50mm metal lip visible from the front that hangs over where the facia would normally be. Looks like lead or zinc coloured from memory, but there's never any facia or gutters visible, usually some type of stone moulding. Any ideas?

It sounds like a roof with a cornice moulding or stone coping detail and the flat roof is set down lower, laid to falls and discharges into a hopper.

traditional orangeries have that detail -usually done with leadwork

So the lead is a sheet and it has a single running outlet formed or welded into it?
I may have a flat porch roof to consider 2.7m wide and 1.8m projected from the front face of the house.
Is the coping/moulding just for show and serves no purpose to the rain gutter?

Sponsored Links
As I said, are you getting somebody to design the house :?: They would detail these sort of things .There are various ways you could design a porch /flat roof/ etc, it should suit the style of the main house, not necessarily copy something you have seen on another house.
ps can't see how a coping or moulding would serve any purpose to the rw gutter unless the gutter itself was an ogee type moulded profile.

I can't see it either :!: Could be a lead flat roof. Doesn't need a gutter if less than 2m2 area. Is it a porch or a canopy :?:
As a matter of interest are you getting somebody to design the house for you :?:
I must of missed this. The house is designed as it's a modelled off an existing house i have and some parts of a friends that's very similar. I have a pitched roof on the porch though and have seen them with a flat roof which looks better. An architect will draw up an accurate version to suit the building regs but didn't seem to say much about flat roofs during a phone call. It's a porch, external to the house with a door and window.

This is the sort of moulding i seen, made it look like the down pipe was going into it. I considered having it as a balcony roof instead of a normal roof bu need to see how this alters things as your floor would then have to be waterproof.

Attachments

• Balcony above porch.jpg
    Balcony above porch.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 499
floor would then have to be waterproof.
The roof becomes the floor.. common detail.
the down pipe and gutter in the picture looks like a pressed metal type possibly lindab.
the down pipe terminates into the gutter on the right not through the roof then probably into another pipe on the left

I will discuss the balcony option with an architect but I'm only having a plan drawn up not an architect seeing over the project from start to finish. I've had a good search on the internet & not found too much in the way of how to construct a balcony over a living space (Internal porch), what I did come across didn't seem to favour it as a wise choice saying they are too prone to leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back