Flat roof alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a lovely leak in my felt flat roof. It's been there a while but what with all the rain recently it's becoming difficult to ignore. I've had a couple of quotes from roofers to rip up the felt and relay it. It's only a two bed flat so the roof isn't enormous (sorry haven't got measurements) but the cost is going to be about £2k. My dad has suggested we consider buying steel sheets and paying a roofer just to fix them over my leaky roof. I called the company who supply the sheets www.cladco.co.uk and they said they often sell their products to people in just my position and it will probably cost 1/2 as much as a felt roof.

Has anyone heard of people doing this?
Does anyone know any roofers in Bristol who won't rip me off?

Thanks for any thoughts
KW.

Sponsored Links
I am doing my flat roof in a couple of weeks (depending on our glorious weather !!!) I have bought EPDM for mine, may be an alternative for you. I am fitting it myself and the 7m x 3m roof cost me about £400.

Hope this helps

Paul

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Yes a hailstorm would be quite exciting. Paul_B what is EDPM? Is there a website that supplies it?

I've now called a few people and they think that the cladding option could be OK but that I might struggle to find someone to fit it. I've spoken to some roofers but not had any luck so far. It might be a conspiracy against us and flat roofs are just more labour intensive and more money can be made.

Any further money saving tips appreciated!
KW

Kittenwarrier said:
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Yes a hailstorm would be quite exciting. Paul_B what is EDPM? Is there a website that supplies it?

I've now called a few people and they think that the cladding option could be OK but that I might struggle to find someone to fit it. I've spoken to some roofers but not had any luck so far. It might be a conspiracy against us and flat roofs are just more labour intensive and more money can be made.

Any further money saving tips appreciated!
KW

Hi Kttenwarrier,
Cannot remember the website I got mine from but this one does the same stuff, apparently used for years in America.

http://www.diy-flat-roof.com/?gclid=CMaqyPvKnI0CFQlJEAodukQ_0g

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the website. I'm not sure what to think really. I just had another roofer around who did seem like a decent chap (kind of a recommendation) and he just wouldn't fit a metal cladding roof. He thought it was all wrong and wouldn't cost less even if he did fit it. I've also had a guy who fits industrial roofs say that it's unlikely to cost less than a felt flat roof.

But then I've got my dad (who's not a roofer but is well meaning) and the metal cladding company (who want my cash) saying that it will cost half as much. Ho hum, what to do....

KW

I would say the metal roofing sheet will outlast all flat roof problems, just look at all the warehouse that has them!

Some of the sheet can be a bit of an eyesore but they are some tiles sheet effect which does looks like tiles. Verasteel is one of them.

Metal sheets will be cheaper and even cheaper if you diy.

Kittenwarrier said:
Hello all, It's only a two bed flat
KW.
.....so, who`s the freeholder :idea: they are usually responsible :confused:

Good idea but freeholder is my partners dad so we look after all maintenance ourselves. Looks like I'm just going to have to dish out a couple of grand and be done with it. Oh well have to stick to camping this year!

Thanks
KW

My own leaky flat roof is about 5.4m x 6m. The boards are sound but it leaks at the edges where the felt is no longer connected to a parapet wall. (Why a parapet wall??? - I really don't know!)

I did loads of research and ended up getting a one-piece EDPM plus all the adhesive etc from www.diyroofing.co.uk. I actually wanted to order it just before Easter but it arrived just after and I have to confess that I still haven't _quite_ got around to doing this yet so I can't offer the value of my experience. The wife and three children are disappearing to the outlaws tomorrow for two weeks so the only excuse I have left for not doing it is the weather ;)

I bought the stuff from www.diyroofing.co.uk. They have some useful (if biased towards EDPM) documents you can download. The bloke really gets my vote because he took absolutely ages going through the order with me (I think literally about 90 minutes on the phone!!) with the order.

Get your dad to give him a bell and check out the info on the website.

Hello all, I have a lovely leak in my felt flat roof. It's been there a while but what with all the rain recently it's becoming difficult to ignore. I've had a couple of quotes from roofers to rip up the felt and relay it. It's only a two bed flat so the roof isn't enormous (sorry haven't got measurements) but the cost is going to be about £2k. My dad has suggested we consider buying steel sheets and paying a roofer just to fix them over my leaky roof. I called the company who supply the sheets www.cladco.co.uk and they said they often sell their products to people in just my position and it will probably cost 1/2 as much as a felt roof.

Has anyone heard of people doing this?
Does anyone know any roofers in Bristol who won't rip me off?

Thanks for any thoughts
KW.
give me the size of the roof and i will tell you the corect average price it should be. try not to use anything else as these things are not as good as a well laid flat roof.
most metal sheeting needs a significant fall to disperse water, you can not seal this type of roof to the wall of your house

Thanks for your words of advice. I listened to a couple of roofers who also advised against the metal sheets. I got a lovely local roofer to do the flat roof and it cost £1100. I don't know how to tell but him and his team seemed to work hard and we got a guarantee so I'm happy.
Not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name but if you're looking for a roofer in Bristol I have a recommendation!

KW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back