Flat roof converted to pitched roof - okay to trim off rafter tail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an odd shaped extension to the house which used to have a flat room, and now has a pitched roof built 3 brick courses higher than the old roof. Consequently, the new pitched roof was actually built over the old flat roof joists - I've recently cut the old joists out leaving only the new structure, and top plate all in place. The new ceiling will be attached to the underside of the bottom chord in the usual fashion (I use this image as reference - credit to www.arteroofing.com)
full

So externally it looks like this:
full

You can see there is a pitched roof in two directions (the apexes aren't even at 90 degrees to one another) Behind this door, the rafter tails for what should be the left-side eaves are protruding into the room, and need to be trimmed back to allow the ceiling to be fitted. But what is the correct angle for the cut, Red Green or Blue?

full

My money is on the green line, the blue arrow shows the position of the old flat-roof joists, you can also see where the others have been cut back. With time, these stubs will also be removed and the brick work made good (as it's supporting the roof plate and I don't want to leave this masonry peppered with holes).

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for you input folks. I'll get the elbow grease on standby.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back