Flat roof end timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I put up the flat roof timbers/joists up on my single storey extension. These were sat on the internal wall plate and on the house wall they were sat on the lintel via joist hangers or on a timber wall plate using jiffys.

The outside timbers though I havent fixed in place yet and am a bit unsure how to fit these to the house wall and of course the far end.

What do these timbers sit on, couple of thoughts:

1. Fit noggings at 400mm centres from the last timber, with these noggings sitting on a new wall plate on the side wall. Then screw the last timber to these.

2. Fit a small length wall plate to the house wall and fit the timber to this using a jiffy hanger. The far end to just fit on the outside blockwork, bedded down.

I'm not looking to have a soffit on the end, as the wall will be rendered to match existing. I will just fit a facia

The building inspector has said to me to continue up the 50mm cavity celotex to roof level.

Therefore if option 1 was used the noggings would be in the way of the celotex.

If option 2 id used, then I'd need to secure the timber with a couple of noggings anyway.

Your thoughts please, or is there an option 3?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Apologies if that didnt make sense

Here's a picture of one end of the extension, you cab see the second to last beam and the wall plate fixed to the house wall. I havent completed all the blockwork to the top on the outer skin yet, so you can see the celotex insulation.

Can I just fix the last timber to this wall plate and have it sitting on the top row of outer skin blockwork?

Snapshot_20121021.jpg

Yes you can in a similar way to doing a gable ladder set, except horizontal and not sloping. ;)

gable.jpg

Thank you

So I dont need to put a timber (wall plate) onto my inner wall, I just use the blocks to support the 'ladder'?

Building inspector will be OK with that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back