Flat Roof Extension to join very shallow pitch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone may give alittle knowledge, not after full structual help just an opinion.

We are looking to add a small extension which will use a section of an old extension fitted maybe 20 - 30 years back.

The problem we have is the bungalow has a very shallow pitch, the current extension i believe is fiited to the eves/ceiling joists.
This means the ceiling is lower than the other rooms and the floor drops down.

We would like to extend over to the conservatory on the pictures, higher the floor to match the house and raise the celing to match.
Do people think this is possible?
Extension Internal 1.jpg
Extension Ext 2.jpg
Extension Ext 3.jpg
Extension Ext 5.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's standard and possible.

There was a recent post in here or the roofing section about this arrangement.

Is following that very low ceiling height a good idea or are you just trying to keep it within permitted development?

Sorry we would like the same height as the original so the extension and new extension roof needs
to go up around 300mm.

Im not very good at searching on here, if you come across the thread let me know please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, my very simple drawings are as below.
Sorry we hope to knock the conservatory down rebuild to a brick room and then extend to the edge.
Its going to need some steels alright, does it look possible still?

Attachments

• Deer Floor Plan 1.jpg
    Deer Floor Plan 1.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Deer Floor Plan 2.jpg
    Deer Floor Plan 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Deer Floor Plan 3.jpg
    Deer Floor Plan 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Deer Floor Plan 4.jpg
    Deer Floor Plan 4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for the replies, my very simple drawings are as below.
Sorry we hope to knock the conservatory down rebuild to a brick room and then extend to the edge.
Its going to need some steels alright, does it look possible still?

Unfortunately the dogs aren't displaying properly for me.

It looks to me like the existing extension connects to the original roof about where the external wall is.

To get a higher roof it simply requires more tiles to be stripped off further up the roof, then connect the new flat roof joists to the original rafters.

The flat roof membrane, epdm, grp whatever....then runs up the pitch and then tiles are dressed back down over.

Bear in mind the goat roof will probably be a warm roof and the pitched roof will be a cold roof....so care with the detailing is needed.

Hopefully the attached pdf opens.

Attachments

• Deer 4 Page Plan Feb 21.pdf
    902.4 KB · Views: 179

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back