Flat roof fail

Yes I think the leaking issues are fixable and removing the coping stones will probably have to happen. But the condensation problem isn't going away without a major overhaul.
Certainly looking like the legal avenue right now, letters sent out and solicitor contacted. I know being in the right is no guarantee of success in this game but its got to be done I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
You might not be able to blame the contractor if he was limited height wise by building control!

Yes but if he was limited by a height restriction making a warm roof construction difficult that wouldn't absolve him of blame in constructing an unventilated cold roof circumventing building regulations. If I'm being generous I'd say he made an honest mistake, maybe a communication error between the various teams, but he's proven to be not the kind of man to able to admit it. But look, we'll see how this plays out, I have about as much faith in the legal process as I do the building regulators, it may well end up that we have to take the hit and cover all the repair costs ourselves and have to chalk it up as a cautionary tale that others may learn from.

Last edited:
I don't see any detail from your the designer/architect for the ventilation, which is a cop out for a crucial detail. If this roof is 3-4 yrs old then the builder is unlikely to remember much about your job.

Sponsored Links
You're right, no mention of ventilation is in the architects plan but it is mentioned in the builders quote. Regardless though, it's my understanding that if a construction is covered by building regulations then it is up to the builder to comply with those regulations whether or not they are specifically addressed in the architects plan, but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the builder can claim in court that when he said he'd constructed a warm roof he simply forgot that he in fact constructed a cold roof and also forgot to include the necessary ventilation a mistake any one can make right;)

I suspect if he has already been back and replaced the roof once he will now blame the architect. Let us know how you get on.

It wouldn't be a surprise if he did but they seemed liked best mates, at least 5 years ago.

Well, latest is he received the letter of complaint and immediately replied with a snotty text saying he'll counterclaim and shortly after that followed up with the claim that we've voided the warranty because we had a solar panel put on the roof a few months ago. So, fun and games time it seems.

Thought I'd just make a quick update, again might be of interest to someone now or in the future.

After the initial antagonistic texts, 3 or 4 days passed then we received a polite email stating he would like to come over to 'chat'. We agreed but not hopeful of a favourable outcome based on passed experience. In the meantime we contacted building control and had a good conversation with one of the inspectors there who confirmed that based on our description that it did contravene regulations and was very supportive and said they will come out to provide a free inspection. The builder came over today and we was prepared for a battle but he was largely apologetic and while not completely wanting to personally admit the error he was at least willing to finally accept responsibility for making it right. As @Notch7 suggested the roof really needs to be ripped off and completely re-done as a warm roof if possible. Maybe he saw that post as that's what he proposed, to our relief. Also, the coping stones will be all coming off and the top layer being replaced with fibreglass. He wants to come back in March to do this work which we agreed to.

So, assuming nothing crops up to change those plans that will be the best possible outcome as things stand and is definitely a load off the plate after chasing this for almost 3 years now. Thanks to all those that gave their opinions.

Thought I'd just make a quick update, again might be of interest to someone now or in the future.

After the initial antagonistic texts, 3 or 4 days passed then we received a polite email stating he would like to come over to 'chat'. We agreed but not hopeful of a favourable outcome based on passed experience. In the meantime we contacted building control and had a good conversation with one of the inspectors there who confirmed that based on our description that it did contravene regulations and was very supportive and said they will come out to provide a free inspection. The builder came over today and we was prepared for a battle but he was largely apologetic and while not completely wanting to personally admit the error he was at least willing to finally accept responsibility for making it right. As @Notch7 suggested the roof really needs to be ripped off and completely re-done as a warm roof if possible. Maybe he saw that post as that's what he proposed, to our relief. Also, the coping stones will be all coming off and the top layer being replaced with fibreglass. He wants to come back in March to do this work which we agreed to.

So, assuming nothing crops up to change those plans that will be the best possible outcome as things stand and is definitely a load off the plate after chasing this for almost 3 years now. Thanks to all those that gave their opinions.

That's a result.

So to confirm, he's going to convert to warm roof, (likely ultimately the cheaper option rather than trying to rectify the original cold roof, not to mention easier).

And the coping stones removed, so basically you'll just have a standard flat roof arrangement, as I assume the insulation will take what's left of the parapet.

I took this route to rectify an issue I had very similar to yours, I had the roofers position the drip edge of the fibreglass roof 40mm away from the wall so when it rained the walls wouldn't get soaked, the curve on the bottom of the drip edge is quite large so most of the gap is taken out and it doesn't look silly. Alternatively you can install a non drip edge to keep it tight against the wall,

That's right, this is the proposal from the builder; "the solution would be, to have the insulation go above the timber framework within the roof to create a standard warm deck roof system. This would require stripping off the old roof, coping stones, installing 100mm cellotex and finishing with 18mm OSB. Together with the removal of any existing OSB board or joists that are found to be inadequate. Scaffold and waste services are to be included. The new roof covering would be fibreglass. There is a possibility of removing the coping stones and having a fibreglass trimmed finish. The lantern may have to be raised to accommodate the new insulation."

I'll look into the drip edge, thanks for the info. One things for sure I'll be scrutinising every part of this new construction when it happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back