Flat roof gradient - firrings or offset joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me if it is best to use firrings on top of the joists or actually offset the joists to get the run-off on a flat roof. Mine will have a parapet around it, running off to the alley with a small hole in the parapet into a down pipe and away.

It would be easy enough to set the joists so that they drop off in this direction, but I guess I would have a slanted ceilign as well. Guessin gthat firrings are better for this reason?

Thanks

Mac

Sponsored Links
If you want a sloping ceiling that looks neither here nor there, then slope the joists

Sorry woody, not sure if there was some sarcasm there or I just misunderstood :D

Clearly I don't want a sloping ceiling, as it's a flat roof, if "looks neither here nor there" you mean that the slope will not be noticeable, then that is an option. I guess another option would be to trim the top of the joists by 2-3mm over every 500mm centre?

Sponsored Links
Is it more complicated and costly than a joist with a furring on the top?

Thanks Guys.

Sorry for throwing this into the same post, but for an extension of 3m, hence joists spanning 3m, what joist size would you recommend for a warm deck flat roof? There will be 2 velux sealed skylights 1m x 1m each.

I plan to use timber plates, the same size as the joists and bolt these to the existing house wall and new extension inside skin and then attach joist hangers to support the new joist. Does this all sound okay to you?

More costly granted but not complicated. :p

The joist would need to be notched both ends to give it a flat seat, and then each end cut plumb too. As oppose to the [less complicated] plonking the joist on :p

<waits patiently for the oldun to get home from work and set us all straight>

Thanks all,

Not sure if my additional question above was missed, but in case:

"Sorry for throwing this into the same post, but for an extension of 3m, hence joists spanning 3m, what joist size would you recommend for a warm deck flat roof? There will be 2 velux sealed skylights 1m x 1m each.

I plan to use timber plates, the same size as the joists and bolt these to the existing house wall and new extension inside skin and then attach joist hangers to support the new joist. Does this all sound okay to you?"

I was thinking of 150mm deep C16 joists regulised at 600 centres? These would span 2.7m or a bit less with timber plates bolted to either side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back