Flat roof insulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help.

I need to insulate my flat roof and have decided to keep the roof as a "cold deck" for reasons that I won't bore you with.

I am planning on redecking the roof and recovering at the same time as insulating it.

my question is where do i put the vapor barrier (below or above the insulation) as I have been told by some people to put it above the insulation and others to put it under the insulation.

Also what is a good product to use for a vapour barrier?

Thanks

Wookston

Sponsored Links
The vcl will need to be below the insulation i.e. fixed to the underside of the joists prior to fitting plasterboards. Using foil backed plasterboards is a good way of dealing with this.

Your biggest concern is dealing with the venting of the joist roof space. Have you accommodated for this?

Vapour barrier always goes to the warm side. Use any 1000g polythene. Seal all joints with aluminium vapour tape. Make sure you seal edges.

One last thing. Why a vapour barrier in a cold deck roof? It won't do any harm but it isn't necessary.

Sponsored Links
That'l teach me to think and type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back