Flat roof joists size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.the garage I’m building is 7x4m.question is what size joists do I need to span 4m?how many?spacing i between?,and can i get the fall by cutting them diagonally?thanks.

Sponsored Links
Look up span tables for flat roofs. prob looking at min 195 x 47 C16 @ 400mm.

Easiest way to get the fall is probably to add furring strip (a diagnally cut timber) on top of the joist to give you the required fall

Hi folks.the garage I’m building is 7x4m.question is what size joists do I need to span 4m?how many?spacing i between?,and can i get the fall by cutting them diagonally?thanks.
195mm x 47mm @ 400mm c/c. Use furrings (diminishing strips) for falls, as said.

Sponsored Links
Yeah was gonna say,couldn’t I just use slightly larger joists and just trim those

No, that's the hard way, and the wasteful way, unless you have plenty of time, a seriously good saw and are good at maths - in which case you could get two different height joists, trim the deeper one and use the offcut as a firring for the shallower one! The reason firrings are used is to keep the bottom of the joist level for the ceiling, in a garage that's not usually necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back